Tips for your moving abroad
TIPS FOR YOUR MOVE
IN ORDER TO PREPARE YOUR MOVE, CERTAIN STEPS MUST BE TAKEN SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE D-DAY. TO ENSURE THAT NOTHING IS FORGOTTEN, TRANSCAUSSE REMOVALS INTERNATIONAL HAS DRAWN UP A CHECKLIST.
Change of life, change of address, change of work and change of school for children; It is important not to forget anything.
To prepare your move serenely, you will find important advice and reminders at each stage of your move.
PREPARATION FOR YOUR MOVE
- Consider taking stock of vaccines that may be needed at your destination. It will also be necessary if you have treatment in progress that your doctor prepares you a prescription so that you have a sufficient reserve.
- Date of your international move
- Establish a contract of insurance for the duration of your international move, as well as a damage insurance before the move.
- Make a value statement for all your valuable items and documents.
- Make sure you have one or more days off.
- Send your notice of departure to your owner, by mail with acknowledgment. The legal duration of the notice varies if you rent an apartment furnished or unfurnished (it can go from 1 to 3 months). Check your lease and applicable law as soon as possible to be sure to send your mail at the right time to your landlord.
- Make an appointment with your landlord to carry out the inventory.
- Have boxes as well as useful materials to pack your things (bubble wrap, heavy scotch, cutter …). Provide sufficient quantity!
- Before making your cartons, take an inventory of your belongings and decide what you will take with you, and what you will separate (destination waste, donations to your entourage, a charity if the state is still good …)
- Collect all useful information about truck rentals.
- Check that the moving quote is suitable for you (insurance, date, price).
- Report your change of address to the most important organizations: your tax payment center, your bank, your social security center, your employer, your insurer, your various subscriptions (telephone, internet …).
- Complete all administrative formalities such as passport, visa, work permit and driver’s license.
- Set up the redirection of your mail to La Poste. Different contracts exist, inquire to find the price and the services that are best for you.
- Stop or adapt your current contracts if necessary: electricity, gas, telephone, insurance (vehicle, housing, etc.)
- Closing your bank accounts if necessary (make sure that all checks you have issued are cashed regardless of their amount, if you do not want to be banking ban.) You can also transfer your bank accounts.
- Ask your loved ones, your friends, to bring you their help on D-Day.
- Consume frozen foods. Anticipate sufficiently (depending on the amount to consume and the time you have left) if you do not want to throw too much at the last moment.
- Book a location as close to home as possible for parking the moving vehicle.
- Finally, consider collecting all the documents that you will have to hand over to us on the day of loading and which will be necessary for us to carry out the customs operations. Notably the detailed inventory, encrypted and signed which will also be used during the declaration to the insurances.
- Keep and shelve documents and effects that are not part of the trip.
- Make a last check with our movers to check that nothing has been forgotten.
- Once your container is loaded, remember to record the lead number.
- Also remember to keep our contact information and that of our agent at destination.
- Use a devil to carry more easily your cartons, appliances …
- Gather the screws of each piece of furniture in an envelope or a small resealable plastic bag (one per piece of furniture, ideally, with the name of the piece of furniture on it). You will find them more easily when you need to reassemble them.
- Do not leave your cartons or your vehicle unattended.
- Record the water, gas and electricity meters and then cut them off when you leave.
Tips for your international move
ARRIVAL AND DELIVERY
- Upon your arrival, contact our agent and determine with him as soon as possible a delivery date
- On the day of delivery, check the good condition of your effects. In case of damage, these must imperatively be mentioned on the delivery note.
- Once installed, be sure to communicate your new contact details to institutions such as taxes, pension fund, etc …
- Register in your new municipality and on the electoral rolls.
- List the physicians and specialists closest to your new address.
- Tenants: check that your deposit has been returned to you.
- Last act, thank you for returning the satisfaction survey, your appreciations are important.
Tips for your international move
Transcausse Déménagements offers you expert advice for a successful move abroad !
If you need specific information about moving procedures or the volume to be moved, contact our advisors at 04 91 13 15 28.
Conseils pour votre déménagement international